The Translation Map was commissioned by Gallery 9/Walker Art Center through a grant from the Jerome Foundation and partially supported by the University of New Mexico's Arts Technology Center with funding from the Rockefeller Foundation and the National Endowment for the Arts.
The Translation Map incorporates data about the world and the world's languages. This data was assembled from several sources:
- information about languages and where they are spoken was found here: http://www.ethnologue.com/web.asp
- information detailing city locations outside of the United States was downloaded from this website: http://www.nima.mil/gns/html/cntry_files.html
- information detailing city locations within the United States was downloaded from this website: http://geonames.usgs.gov/gnisftp.html
- demographic information about the countries of the world was incorporated from this source: http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/
- satellite photos of the Earth were found at this site: http://www.fourmilab.ch/earthview/
Thank you very much to our funding and data sources. We hope to lengthen our acknowledgement section as we receive suggestions from you that get incoporated into future versions of the Translation Map.